Thursday, April 9, 2009


I like to pretend that I have decent music taste, well it's all subjective I know, but yesterday I embraced what I know to be simple unadorned bad music. After spending last Friday night watching all 5 hours (I don't know where the time went) of VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80's, I had a craving to infuse my ipod with a few not so classic throwbacks. And say what you will about my choice, but yesterday I bopped to school to the tune of General Public's Tenderness. Us younger kids, not aware of it in the 80's probably know it from the Soundtrack of Clueless. It's crazy how good that song made me feel. I don't mind saying that I danced just a little bit. I tapped my fingers against my jeans, I bobbed my head, I did, yes, I did mouth the words. Call it a guilty pleasure, but however you want to classify music, however much sugar pop choruses annoy you, there is something to be said for infection. There is something to be said for the way a shallow catchy song from the 80's can make me realize all the happiness at my disposal. I wash the dishes to ABBA on occassion. I have a cassette tape of Barbie and the Rockers with possibly one of the most fantastic songs ever recorded by a doll and her backing band. I love Belinda Carlisle. I just bought Madonna's hits collection from the mid 90's becuase couldn't we all learn a little something from vintage Madonna? Is that even a question?

No comments:

Post a Comment