Sunday, April 5, 2009

Goodwill Gone Bad

I've had some strange experiences at the Goodwill before, but this Saturday tops the pops. I don't know why exactly, but the good people at Goodwill have decided to revamp their operation. There are no more clothing racks, no more hangers, no more neatly organized departments, no men's, no women's, no outerwear. What they have instead are bins. Giant green bins on wheels that are stuffed with a random assortment of everything clothing. I go to the Goodwill to do a little hunting, sure, I love flipping through the racks and racks of outrageously ugly stuff to find the stuff that is either pretty or just ironically ugly. So it isn't that I mind having to do a little digging for the good stuff, but something about grabbing through bins of clothes is more than degrading. And of course I am not the Goodwill's target shopper. I have the luxury of not shopping there. I have a choice, but their mission is to help people without choices. Their mission is to provide an affordable and dignified shopping expereicne to people with very little money. The Goodwill is suppossed to help the community. That's the reason they exist. And now they want shoppers to root through heaps of clothing like searching through the dumpster? As I picked up a few flannel shirts among the wreckage, I went from feeling uncomfortable to feeling angry. I think everyone deserves a better shopping experience. I'm pretty dissapointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment